Sweet Annie’s Kids Virtual Baking: Tea Cakes with Glaze
Bake with Annie live here!
Recipe Courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen
Ingredients: 2 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled 1 cup all purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 2/3 cup sugar 2 large eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup buttermilk (substitute: one tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice to one cup milk-let stand for five minutes, OR substitute plain full fat yogurt) 1 cup of powdered sugar 1/4 cup milk (have extra milk on hand)
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat over to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, use spoon to stir together 2 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of melted butter. Use the pastry brush to thoroughly paint inside of each cup of 12-cup muffin tin with butter sugar mixture.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In bowl of stand mixer (or large bowl if using hand mixer), combine 6 tbsp softened butter and remaining 2/3 cup sugar. Lock bowl into place and attach paddle to stand mixer, if using.
4. Start mixer on medium-high speed and beat until mixture is pale and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Stop mixer.
5. Use rubber spatula to scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs and vanilla. Start mixer on medium speed and beat until combined, about 30 seconds. Stop mixer.
6. Carefully add half of flour mixture. Start mixer on low speed and mix until combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer running, pour in buttermilk and mix until combined, about 30 seconds. Stop mixer.
7. Add remaining flour mixture. Start mixer on low speed and mix until well combined, about 30 seconds. Stop mixer. Remove bowl from stand mixer, if using.
8. Use rubber spatula to scrape down sides of bowl and stir in any remaining dry flour. Use large spoon to divide batter evenly among muffin tin cups (use rubber spatula to scrape batter from spoon if needed) and smooth tops.
9. Place muffin tin in oven. Bake until cakes are light golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of 1 cake comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
10. Use oven mitts to remove muffin tin over cooling rack. Place muffin tin on cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
11. Use oven mitts to invert muffin tin over cooling rack and gently tap muffin tin cups to help cakes release. Let cakes cool completely on rack, bottom side up, about 30 minutes.
12. For the glaze: In a second small bowl whisk together powdered sugar and a little milk at a time until glaze is thick but pourable.
13. Use clean spoon to spoon glaze over top of each cooled cake, letting some drip down the sides. Let glaze set for 10 minutes before serving.