Sweet Annie's Virtual Kids Brunch: French Toast Pigs in a Blanket
Cook with Annie live here!
Recipe courtesy of Food Network
12 breakfast sausage links
6 large eggs
¾ cup milk
¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
12 slices potato bread or country white bread
4 tbsp butter
powdered sugar for topping
syrup for dipping
COOK TIME: About 20 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment
paper. Put the sausages on the baking sheet and bake until lightly
browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from
the oven with oven mitts and let cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in
a large bowl and whisk to combine. Cut each slice of bread into a 2x4
inch rectangle, cutting off the crusts, then press the bread gently with your
fingertips to flatten slightly.
3. Starting at a short end, roll each piece of bread around a sausage link,
pressing firmly with your fingers to seal the seam. Add the bread-wrapped
sausages to the bowl with the egg mixture and let soak for 5 minutes.
4. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat over
medium heat. Remove 6 of the bread-wrapped sausages from the egg
mixture, letting the excess egg drip back into the bowl, then add to the
skillet. Cook, turning occasionally with a spatula, until golden brown,
about 5 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the pigs in a blanket to paper towels using the spatula.
Bunch up a paper towel and hold it with tongs to wipe out the skillet. Add
the remaining 2 tbsp butter to the skillet and repeat with the other 6
6. Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the wrapped pigs in a blanket. Serve
with maple syrup for dipping